Because we have rental properties, this applies directly to us and our business. Because so many of you also have rental properties, I’m posting this information I received from the City of Greensboro.
If you live or own outside of North Carolina, please be sure you keep track of the ordinances in your area. Real estate related laws are changing at lightening speed!
CITY OF GREENSBORO
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
New State Law Requires Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Rental Properties, Homes
GREENSBORO, NC (December 18, 2009) – Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. It’s odorless, colorless and tasteless, and according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 people in the US die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year.
Because of the dangers of this toxic gas, beginning January 1, 2010, a new state law will require carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in all existing rental units with fossil fuel appliances or fossil fuel fired heating systems.
Specifically, the law requires that:
- Owners of existing rental units shall provide at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level of each unit.
- The detectors can be electrically hardwired or battery-operated.
- All detectors must be approved by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
Also, beginning January 1, 2011, all new homes being constructed must have a carbon monoxide detector installed outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom(s).
For more information about this new law, call the City of Greensboro’s Engineering & Inspections Department at 336-373-2155.